All Graphics (Pattern Ideas etc) and Designs are all Copyright © Alexander Nicholas 2011


Monday 25 July 2011

I am back...

Hello everyone

As the title implies, I AM BACK!!! After finishing my GCSE exams, I now have time to focus on this passion and ambition of mine.
Having nothing to do, I recently started an art project which is based on Victorian Governesses. Their role was to teach young children, especially young girls the so-called "essential occupations" such as Drawing/Painting, Knitting, French, maybe German, Singing, Dancing and Playing a Piano.  I think it is really interesting how in the Victorian Class System, Governesses were seen as a last resort profession and was frowned upon. However, young and educated middle-class women who were unmarried had no choice but to become a governess for to earn a living. Also, as these Governesses were in a social limbo between a servant (because they were being paid to offer their service) and a family member (as they taught the family's daughters/sons), they experienced great hardship and grave solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment